Cosmetic, Surface-Level Mold

mold growing on joist of basement

If you see mold that is white and “fuzzy” growing on your wood, there’s a good chance that it’s surface-level mold only.

This type of fungi quickly grows all over wood surfaces in a humid environment, alarming homeowners but not usually amounting to significant damage. These fungi are only able to consume the sugars and starches present in the wood, and not the polymers in wood fibers that provide structural strength.

Appropriate protective gear and an EPA-approved cleaning agent can provide a good short-term solution for cosmetically damaging fungi species (some molds are harmful and/or toxic to inhale or touch).

Given warmth, moisture, and food, mold will always return. Addressing the source of moisture is a much better route to the permanent solution you’re seeking.

Publish Date:

Last Modified Date: