There are many signs and symptoms of foundation settlement. Below, are some clues that your foundation has settled.
- Stair-Step Cracking- When a brick home or a structure with concrete block walls begins to settle, you will notice stair-step cracking along the wall. The more the foundation settles the wider the cracks will become.
- Chimneys- a more scary and dramatic symptom of foundation settlement is if the chimney starts separating from the home. If your chimney was built on a foundation that is not connected to the rest of you home than it is a lot more susceptible to settlement.
- Exterior Doors and Windows- The doors and windows outside of your home can indicate if your foundation has settled. This is because the opening in the wall for a door or window is the weakest point in the wall; making it one of the first signs of foundation settlement. If your exterior windows or doors are out of square, have separated from the framing or exterior finish then your foundation has probably settled.
- Drywall Cracks- When foundation settles there will often be cracks along the doors and windows in your home, especially in the uppermost levels of your home.
- Out of place Interior Doors and Windows- If the doors and windows of your home stick when you try to open them; if there is evidence that you or a previous homeowner has panned across the top of a door to make it easier to open; or if you or a previous homeowner has replaced latching mechanisms on doors, then your foundation has settled.
Remember big cracks once started as small cracks. How long will you wait to fix the problem? Contact us for a free estimate